Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Last Day in Tokyo



























It was another clear but cold day in Tokyo. We headed out for some more shopping and dinning. Cathy found some wonderful things at Haat, Cliff bought his coat at Mitsukoshi and we found Yacco Maricard a Thai designer we liked from Bangkok. We went an extraordinary lunch at Alain Duccasse. His Tokyo restaurant is called Beige and it is delicious. Half of the courses we had were topped with gold leaf. I guess gold is good for you, we sure ate a lot of it!

Lots of travelling on the Metro, one taxi ride yesterday. Tokyo has the most amazing infrastructure. I am sure there is not ONE pot hole in the entire city. It has millions of people and is very quiet. No noise from anywhere. No honking of horns, no loud radios, just quiet. Everything is immaculately clean. For dinner we went to a restaurant on the 46th floor of a new building overlooking the entire city. It had a fabulous view of all of the lights of the Ginza district.

Tomorrow we leave for Bangkok and on to India. No blogging for a day or so. Lots of travelling! We are leaving the perfection of Tokyo and Japan for the chaos and noise of India. I don’t think any two countries could be more different. In Japan we never order bottled water, everything is clean and healthy, in India… On the other hand, it seems everyone in Japan wears black; in India I expect a kaleidoscope of color.

We knew that Tokyo would be shopping and eating, now we expect to dive into the culture and history of a country we have only read and viewed movies about. A totally different experience is about to happen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Cliff and Cathy!
Have a nice trip to India!
I went to Tokyo last month on business and I tought I wanted to spend more time in Tokyo. I wish I could have had sake with you. It has been VERY freezing these days. I can see you have a great time in Tokyo, though! Stay warm till tomorrow:)

Courtney said...

Glad you've had such a wonderful time in Tokyo. I have enjoyed my vicarious shopping and dining. Don't envy your long flight today and will be in withdrawal not having a blog entry in the next 24 hours. Today is election day in NY (and CA) and I'll be up late tonight awaiting the results. Hope you have more Shah Ruk Kahn movies for journey.